License before 18
To get your license before you are 18 you must first:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- pass Auto Safety with a grade of D or better ***
- Pass Behind the Wheel Driving- 6 hours with an instructor here at Alton High.
- Have your permit for a minimum of 9 months
- Complete 50 hours of practice driving with a parent or guardian age 21 or older.
- Pass the road test at the DMV (If you get an A or B in Auto Safety you MAY be eligible to take you driving test with your driving teacher here at AHS. This is a cooperative driving program set up by the Secretary of State Office)
***To pass Auto Safety you must, by law, be in class for at least 30 clock hours. Excused or unexcused, if you are absent, it will not count towards your 30 hours.
Permit before 16
To get your permit you must first:
- Pay $250.00 in a check made payable to AHS for your Behind the Wheel Driving *
- Fill out and have your parent/guardian sign your application. This must be in blue or black ink.
- Pay $20.00 to the Secretary of State for your permit. This also covers your first license.
- Pass your permit test. We will take this in class
- Pass your vision test. Make sure you take your glasses/contacts with you.
*If you are eligible and fill out your Free Lunch waiver then you do not need to pay the $250.00 fee. You can get this waiver from the Mrs. Hall in the bookkeeping office, located down the hall from the attendance office.
Once the $250 fee or waiver is turned in you will then be considered registered for the Behind-the-wheel driving.
There is no dead line for the fee or waiver but you can not get your permit until you are registered...per state law.